Welcome to Appin of Yesteryear - restoring past times to a present day

"The restrained wilderness of Appin where nature has distributed with a bountiful hand, everything that is calculated to form a truly Highland scene."
Rev. Ian Carmichael

0562

St. Moluag Arrives in Lismore...
Read more

1468

Battle of Stalc, Portnacroish...
Read more

1512

Duncan Stewart 2nd of Appin murdered at Duart Castle...
Read more

1547

Appin men fight at the Battle of the Pinkie...
Read more

1631

Extra floor added to Stalker Castle...
Read more

1641

Annat Church built. (Eaglaisur, The New Church)....
Read more

1645

Marquis of Montrose and his Royalist Highlanders camp in Appin...
Read more

1692

13th February, The Glencoe Massacre...
Read more

1738

Airds House built by Donald Campbell 5th of Airds...
Read more

1746

16th April, The Appin Regiment fight at the Battle of Culloden...
Read more

1752

14th May, Colin Campbell of Glenure is murdered. 8th November, James Stewart hung at Ballachulish...
Read more

1754

James Stewart's skeletal remains fall from the gallows...
Read more

1755

Population of Appin and Lismore 2812...
Read more

1765

Appin estate is sold by Dugald Stewart to Mr Hugh Seton of Touch for the sum of 13900...
Read more

1775

The 'Jupiter of Larne' sails out of Appin with families emigrating to North Carolina...
Read more

1789

Glen Creran road built...
Read more

1790

Appin population 2405. Strath of Appin road built to Kingshouse built. Appin's first post office - r...
Read more

1800

Direct male line of Chief's of Appin becomes extinct...
Read more

1803

Dorothy Wandsworth visits Appin (tour of the Highlands)...
Read more

1809

Portnacroish Church built...
Read more

1814

Sir Walter Scott visits Appin and stays at Invernahyle...
Read more

1815

Portnacroish Church consecrated...
Read more

1833

Lismore Lighthouse on Eilean Musdile is built...
Read more

1836

March, Sir John Campbell buys Airds Estate...
Read more

1840

Mail received daily (instead of three times per week). Stalker Castle becomes roofless...
Read more

1846

The United Free Church is built (todays Kilmoluag)...
Read more

1851

Airds House bought by Robert MacFie, 3rd of Langhouse for £26,000 Population: Appin and Lismore ...
Read more

1870

Dalnashean, Barriemore and Drumneil are built by Robert MacFie of Airds for his sister 'in' law and ...
Read more

1878

Glencreran Church built...
Read more

1889

The new Appin Parish Church is built...
Read more

1890

South Ballachulish and Glencoe parish dis-joined from Appin and Lismore. Annat Church becomes disuse...
Read more

1899

Robert MacFie of Airds dies...
Read more

1901

Population of Appin and Lismore 3707...
Read more

1903

21st August. The Ballachulish Railway line opens Yew tree is planted at Appin Parish Church by Ti...
Read more

1904

Port Appin lighthouse, Sgeir Bhuidhe is built...
Read more

1908

The Castle is regained from the Campbells by Charles Stewart of Achara...
Read more

1909

Col. William MacFie sells Airds Estate (including Drumneil House) for £25,000. The asking price was...
Read more

1914

25th August, Appin's first fatality of 'The Great War'...
Read more

1926

Rev. Duncan Ross dies at Dalnashean Lorn View Cottage was set on fire. Known today as The Burnt H...
Read more

1930

D.H. Maclaren becomes new tenant for Appin Hotel...
Read more

1936

Appin Police Station built...
Read more

1942

28th August, Appin's first fatality of WW2...
Read more

1945

Lt.-Colonel A.K. Stewart of Achnacone dies...
Read more

1947

Population of Lismore 206...
Read more

1948

Port Appin Hall built Rev. Kenneth MacMillan becomes minister of Appin Parish Church...
Read more

1951

Appin Station Hotel goes on fire...
Read more

1952

The second Jubilee Bridge built...
Read more

1953

Chief Allan Winslow Stewart, 15th of Appin, 10th of Ardshiel, and of Lorn dies...
Read more

1957

Electricity brought to Appin...
Read more

1962

John Black & Sons at Tynribbie, becomes Gunn's Garage (Image Christopher Barker Flickr)...
Read more

1966

28th March, The Ballachulish line closes...
Read more

1975

Strath of AppinPrimary School opens. Fasnacloich, Appin and Port Appin schools close...
Read more

1980

Rev. Kenneth MacMillan retires as minister of Appin...
Read more

1983

Christine King retires as headmistress from Strath of Appin School after nearly 20 years...
Read more

1986

Glensanda Quarry opens (Image wikipedia Donald MacDonald)...
Read more

1989

Appin Hall is demolished...
Read more

1992

The new Appin Hall is rebuilt...
Read more

1999

The new Creagan Bridge opens for traffic...
Read more

2005

Appin Volunteer Fire Station opens...
Read more

Castle Stalker

The castle we see today was built in the early stages of the 16th century, by royal expenditure of King…


WW1

Lachlan Stewart

Lachlan Stewart Killed in France Private L Stewart, Highland Lights Infantry, who died in a…

WW2

What's New

The Red Book of Appin

Poem about the Red Book of Appin IT’S a far, far cry to Appin, But worth your while to go…

Life’s Journey

There is many a tumble on life’s long road There is many a weary mile Where your burden is heavy…

Appin

Oh to be a teenager And walk the Appin ways To see again the moonbeams Light up the castle walls…

Archives

Archives
Port Appin Hall 1948

Port Appin Hall, 1948. Originally in use at Glenetive and transported down to Port Appin, by the late Johnny MacColl, Achosrigan, on his coal lorry.…