Researched by Ian MacPhee from the Oban Times Archives

Appin Shinty Reports

Oban Times Report 18th April 1914


Appin 3 – Dalmally 2

On Saturday last, Dalmally and Appin met on Appin ground in the semi-final of the above competition. Throughout the first half the home team showed a decided superiority over the visitors. Cattanach scored shortly after the ball had been thrown up and following some good combination, MacNiven raised the total for Appin to 3.

In the second half, however, Dalmally soon showed that the game was not yet won and but for the sterling defence of the home backs, they must have drawn at least. As it was, Nicolson scored two goals in quick succession for Dalmally near the end of the match, making the result stand finally at – Appin 3 – Dalmally 2.

Mr. MacTaggart, Ballachulish, acted as referee.


Oban Times Report 2nd May 1914


Glencoe 4 – Appin 4

The final tie for Sir George Bullough’s trophy was played at Mossfield Park on Saturday last between the above teams. Ideal weather favoured the proceedings and the attendance of spectators was large and representative. This year is Appin’s first appearance for cup honours and having defeated Dalmally in the previous round they were greatly in favour as probable winners. The teams were:-

Glencoe – MacColl; Downie and MacKenzie; Stewart and J. MacDonald; MacColl, Fallow and MacIntyre; D. MacDonald, Livingstone, Kennedy and Robertson.

Appin – MacDonald; Cameron and MacIntyre; D. Cameron and MacColl; MacTavish, Cattanach and Cattanach; MacNicol, MacDougall, Bell and MacNiven.

Referee – Mr Dun. MacTaggart, Ballachulish.

Appin opened strongly and Bell scored in the early stages of the game. Glencoe came away with a rush from the centre, but were repulsed and Appin’s next visit, to the opposite end was turned to good account, a second goal being cleverly secured. The newcomers were at this stage having the best of matters and for a time the Glencoe men were kept defending. Glencoe, however, gradually improved in their methods and began to make some strong raids into Appin territory. MacDonald was tried and brought off a smart save, but was shortly afterwards beaten by Kennedy. Appin were not easily shaken off, however and Bell netted another point to the huge delight of their supporters. The game was contested with great vigour, the strong young players on both sides straining every nerve to gain the mastery. Both ends were visited in turn, with Glencoe becoming more deadly in their attacks. After drawing matters level by scoring twice – one of the points was beautifully taken by Kennedy – the Glencoe men began to look likely winners. But Appin by fine play again took the lead and at half-time the score was – Appin 4 goals; Glencoe 3 goals.

In the second period Glencoe pressed in determined fashion, but they could not score, although for a time they kept the play confined to the Appin goal. Appin at length broke away and had the hardest of hard-lines when MacTavish landed a grand shot on the top of the Glencoe goal-net. The game now took an even aspect, both goals being visited in turn. Glencoe were at last successful in equalising the score. The game continued with unabated vigour to the end. In the latter half of this period Appin put in some strong aggressive play. After his experiences in the first half, Downie closely watched the movements of Bell, Appin’s crack-shot, with the result that the latter was not nearly so effective in the second half. The game, which was from start to finish, a hardly contested tussle, ended in a draw, the score being – Glencoe 4 goals, Appin 4 goals. The replay is expected to take place on an early date.


SEASON 1947-48

Oban Times Report 11th October 1947

DANCE – A dance was held recently in the hall by the Appin Shinty Club, with Mr Peter Campbell as M.C. Music was provided by the Appin Band.

Oban Times Report 1st November 1947


An exciting game was played on the Appin ground at Kenlochlaich on Saturday when Appin met Dunstaffnage. The visitors won the toss and played the first half with the sun behind them. It was an eventful game from the start and one long fighting struggle on to the finish and speaks highly for the fitness and physical ability of both teams.

Appin took the lead in the scoring and by half-time the score was 4-0.

In the second half Appin was showing signs of fatigue but kept up the struggle brilliantly and the final score was 5-1 in favour of Appin. Their goal-scorers were Alistair Campbell (2), Duncan Geddes, Tommy MacMillan (2).

This victory, following last week’s big victory over Lochside has put additional enthusiasm and determination into the Appin players. This team should by all appearances go far in the games and matches to come.

Oban Times Report 15th May 1948


An interesting junior game is due at Mossfield Park, Oban on Saturday afternoon, Lochside versus Appin in the Bullough Cup contest.

Oban Times Report 22nd May 1948


The newly formed Appin Shinty Team made a good show in their first important game, which was against Lochside Rovers in the first round for the Bullough Cup, confined to juniors. The team is receiving instruction from veteran shinty players in the Appin district and their training includes physical culture by the village blacksmith, Mr D. Campbell, who has three sons in the team. The players are all from the hills and glens of the Appin country and much to their credit in the Shinty World should be heard in the future.

Oban Times Report 22nd May 1948



The game started off at a medium pace until Appin half-back Archie Beaton sent a left-handed shot into the net. The game grew faster ant the Appin combination, always their strongest point, became noticeable. Full forward Alistair Campbell took a shot at goal, the Lochside keeper missed his stroke and Campbell guided the ball between the posts. The ball was kept nearer the Appin goal and Lochside were able to break through the defence, making the score 2-1 at half-time.

Lochside, facing the sun in the second half increased their pressure considerably. Play was alternating from end to end. Twenty minutes from time Alistair Campbell again scored for Appin but Lochside continued to keep the visitors fully occupied right up to the final whistle. Final score Lochside 1, Appin 3.

Oban Times Report 5th June 1948


Oban Celtic Juniors and Appin play in the second round for the Bullough Cup, at Mossfield Park, on Saturday at 6.30pm.

Oban Times Report 12th June 1948



Played at Oban last Saturday, Appin began well and were soon one up. They were playing good shinty and had some clever touches. It took Celtic a long time to settle down and the Appin forwards always looked dangerous in front to goal but were weak in finishing. Archie Beaton was injured and had to leave the field and with this handicap Appin slackened off. Celtic began to settle and found the net twice before the interval.

The second half was even, with the honours to the Celtic defence for standing up to a long spell of attack. Beaton resumed at forward. MacIntyre in the Celtic goal delayed in clearing and an Appin man whipped the ball into the net, making the scores two each. There was no further scoring, though Celtic put on some pressure near the end.

Oban Times Report 26th June 1948


An interesting game of shinty, the replay between Oban Celtic juniors and Appin, being the replay in the second round for the Bullough Cup is to take place at Mossfield Park, Oban on Saturday evening at 6.30pm. At their last meeting these juniors gave an exhibition of first class shinty.


SEASON 1948-49

Oban Times Report 2nd October 1948


First District – Skye v Lochalsh; Lochcarron v Wester Ross.

Second District – Braham v Caberfeidh; Strathcarron v Beauly.

Third District – Inverness v Strathglass; Lovat v Glenurquhart.

Fourth District – Bye – Inveroich; Strath Athletic v Foyers.

Fifth District – Newtonmore v Kincraig; Drumguish? v Kingussie.

Sixth District – Byes – Lochaber Camanachd, Kinlochleven, Fort William; Kilmallie v Ballachulish.

Seventh District – Byes – Benderloch; Lochside Rovers v Dunstaffnage; Oban Lorn Athletic v Glenorchy; Appin v Oban Celtic.

Eighth District – Byes Colintraive, Bute; Strachur v Lochfyneside; Kilmory United v Kyles Athletic.

Oban Times Report 30th October 1948



Appin, the heavier team, took their chances. Celtic missed a penalty taken by Allan. Lack of training in the Celtic was obvious. The better team won and the light Celtic forwards were no match for the heavier Appin defence on a wet and slippery pitch.

Oban Times Report 13th November 1948



Play in the opening stages at Creagan was equally divided, MacNiven scored for Lochside in five minutes and Appin levelled through Archie Beaton after 15 minutes. Campbell and Mowatt put Lochside two up by the interval.

Campbell and Boyd netted further goals for Lochside in the second half.


SEASON 1949-50

Oban Times Report 24th September 1949


The draw for the Bullough junior shinty competition took place in Oban on Wednesday, the teams being separated into two divisions, owing to the number of entries. It resulted as follows:-

NORTH DIVISION – First Round – Appin v Ballachulish (October 8); Second Round – Benderloch v Appin or Ballachulish (October 15); Dunstaffnage v Kinlochleven (October (October 29); Semi-final – Benderloch, Appin or Ballachulish v Dunstaffnage or Kinlochleven (November 5).

SOUTH DIVISION – First Round – Oban Celtic v Strachur (October 8); Second Round – Lorn Athletic v Glenorchy (October 15); Lochside v Oban Celtic or Strachur (October 22); Semi-final – Lorn Athletic or Glenorchy v Lochside, Oban Celtic or Strachur (November 5).

Oban Times Report 22nd October 1949


Result only


Oban Times Report 26th November 1949



In this Bullough Cup second round tie at Castle Farm, it took Appin 60 minutes to find an opening in a stubborn Benderloch defence, which time and again beat off each attack. Play was mainly in the home half of the field and was rather scrappy, partly due to the unevenness of the pitch.

Shortly after the restart, D. MacDonald opened the scoring for Appin from a goalmouth scrimmage. Benderloch began to slow up and Archie Beaton increased the lead by a smart shot. Appin were well served by Peter Campbell, Peter Cameron and Alistair Campbell. Prominent for Benderloch were N. Allan, D. Buchanan and I. Ferguson.

Oban Times Report 14th January 1950



CELTIC JUNIORS MADE SURE OF THEIR Smith Cup replay at Appin on Saturday where a good game was witnessed despite very slippery ground conditions.

Appin set off well at the start and had Celtic defending desperately and Fraser at centre played well. The visitors gradually settled down but chances were lost by the forwards over-running the ball. After 20 minutes the home side went on the lead and held on to this till the interval. Shortly after the re-start, Slater, the Celtic centre was injured and had to forward while MacDougall filled his place.

In the second half Celtic were a transformed team and came away strongly, MacDougall dominating the game. They scored twice before half an hour had gone and 7 minutes from time got a third goal.

Oban Times Report 14th January 1950


A NOTE TO THE APPIN OFFICIALS. Camanachd Association rules, section 111. State: “The front hail posts shall be painted white”. Perhaps a coat of paint would save any idea of protests by visiting teams in the near future.


SEASON 1950-51

Oban Times Report 2nd December 1950


This District Final was a real thriller and one of the best junior games seen on the Mart Park.

Both teams were at full strength, Duncan MacKinnon having travelled that morning from Inverness to take his place in the centre for Glenorchy. The ground was treacherous but the hitting was keen and the tackling even keener.

Glenorchy had the edge in the outfield and pressed throughout the first half. Their forwards, however, missed several chances and it was at the other end that Charlie Campbell opened the scoring with a high shot from 20 yards. The homesters were unfortunate to be behind at the interval.

After 20 minutes of the second half, Appin increased their lead through A. Campbell. Glenorchy returned to the attack and Iain MacColl gave MacIntyre no chance with one of his specials. The pressure was on but Neil MacIntyre brought of several fine saves from MacColl.

In a very clean and sporting game it would be unfair to praise any one player.

Oban Times Report 23rd December 1950

SHINTY WHIST DRIVES – A series of Whist Drives organised by Mr James MacMillan and committee provided some most enjoyable and sociable evenings in Port Appin Hall this winter, as well as realising over £30 for the Appin Shinty Club. At the final Whist Drive and Dance Mrs MacArthur, Fasnacloich, presented prizes to winners with the highest aggregate scores: – Ladies – 1. Miss M. Gartshore, 2. Mrs Muir, 3. Miss M. MacCorquodale. Gentlemen – 1. Mr J. Cameron, 2. Mr Gartshore, 3. Mr D. MacCorquodale. The M.C. was Mr John MacColl.

Oban Times Report 3rd March 1951



Although a draw would have been a fairer reflection of the run of play in this district final of the Sutherland Cup played at Mossfield on Saturday, Appin justified their win by making more use of their scoring opportunities than their opponents.

Hitting was erratic and the turf was in the air more often than the ball but right from the start both teams were on their toes and the fans enjoyed an exciting and hard fought game.

In a scrappy first half spectators saw the teams share the honours, but after the interval Appin took control and went ahead within five minutes. The remainder of the second half was fast and hard fought with near misses on both sides but the Appin boys just managed to hang on to their one goal lead and left the field victorious. Lochfyneside won the toss and decided to shoot with the wind. Play was fairly even the whole of the first half and more or less confined to mid-field exchanges. There was very little constructive play and both sides seemed to have the same idea – hit the ball goal wards.

Lochfyneside took the lead in seven minutes with a snap shot from the edge of the circle by John MacCallum. Appin fought back and soon evened matters through second forward Bobby Rankin. Although the Lochfyneside forwards combined better, the Appin front line always looked slightly more dangerous.

In the second half Appin assumed superiority and in 15 minutes Rankin put his team in the lead during a goalmouth scrimmage. This setback did not deter the Lochfyneside boys and it was anybody’s game right to the final whistle.

Oban Times Report 24th March 1951



Appin lost this game because of their forwards inferior shooting. When hard hitting was called for, the “Blue and White’s tip-tapped their way in and out of the penalties, with the result that Spean Bridge emerged easy winners. Oban spectators will probably not see a team so many chances for a long time to come.

Spean opened their account in five minutes when MacFadyen netted from a penalty after an infringement by Cameron. With long opening passes, the Inverness boys maintained their pressure and after 15 minutes MacFadyen increased the score with an unsavable shot from just outside the circle.

Appin steadied a little and carried the attack to the other end but the Spean keeper dealt confidently with everything that came his way.

Twenty minutes from the end of this half, MacFadyen completed his hat-trick after a faulty clearance by the Appin keeper.

Appin with a rearranged team, went into the attack after the restart and in 20 minutes Peter Cameron took a smart goal when he lay unmarked.

Spean had occasional visits, but for the remainder of the second half Appin kept on the attack with their centre line dictating the run of play. Despite good service the forward line squandered all the chances.

Oban Times Report 30th June 1951



THE FINAL OF THE LATE LORD ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL’S CUP played on the Winterton on June 23 between Appin and Strachur Juniors brought out a large number of spectators.

The score, four goals to one in favour of Appin is not a true reflection on the run of play for had Strachur pressed home the advantage they held for a considerable portion of the game, the score might just as easily been in their favour. Appin appeared the heavier and stronger team and ground conditions, although the same for both, favoured them and they as a whole made better use of the ball.

The Cup was presented to the Appin Captain, Peter Cameron, at the close of the game by Provost Morrison who also presided in his capacity as Chairman of Lochfyneside Shinty Club at high tea in the Albion Tea Rooms when both teams and their officials and the referee, Mr Donald Morrison, were entertained.

Mr Donald Campbell handed over the handsome badges to the winners and he spoke of the pleasure the local Club had in running this competition. Mr Ian Black, the indefatigable Secretary also said a few words and Mr Ian Campbell, Appin, thanked all who had to do with the competition and the Lochfyneside Club for the splendid way they had looked to the interest of the competing teams and their supporters.

Oban Times Report 21st July 1951



Appin the Cup-holders were defeated by Dunstaffnage in the final of the Bullough Cup, which was played at Mossfield Park, Oban, on Saturday.

The Appin side started off well and opened scoring through Neil Fraser but Dunstaffnage, taking over the offensive soon equalised through MacCuish and went ahead despite much pressure by Appin. The Dunstaffnage side increased their lead through MacInnes and held on to this lead until the end.

Oban Times Report 18th August 1951



In what was a somewhat scrappy game, lacking cohesion and constructive play, Appin ran out worthy winners by 5 goals to 1, at Kinlochlaich Park, on Saturday last in the first round of the Munro Shield.

Appin had most of the pressure throughout the game and had they accepted their opportunities, the score would have been much greater. Celtic, in their brief visits to the Appin goal, were more dangerous and it was from one of these visits, after about 20 minutes play, that MacNiven opened the scoring. Their lead was short-lived, for about 3 minutes later, Archie Beaton equalised for Appin with a soft shot from about 15 yards. Appin went further ahead before the interval with goals from Jimmy Jackson and Neil Fraser.

In the second half, Celtic forwards were brought more into the game, and MacIntyre in the Appin goal, was called upon on a number of occasions to clear his lines. Before time Appin went further ahead with 2 goals from Fraser and Beaton.

Special mention should be made of 15 year old James Jackson, who, on Saturday, showed promise of one day being one of the country’s outstanding players.

Oban Times Report 15th September 1951

APPIN – DANCE – As the result of a dance in Port Appin Hall on September 7, the Club’s funds benefited by the sum of £12. Music was supplied by Benny MacGeachy and his Band and the M.C. was Mr James MacMillan, Ardnaclach.

SHINTY CLUB – The Shinty Club held its Annual General Meeting in Port Appin Hall on September 10, the following committee were appointed – Hon. President, Col. MacAlpine-Downie; President, Mr J. MacMillan; Secretary and Treasurer, Mr A. Lawrie; Combined selective and management committee – Messrs. A. Cameron, John MacColl, J. Cameron, Donald Lawrie, Ewan MacCowan, Nicol Carmichael. Entertainments Committee – Mrs N. Carmichael, Mrs MacFadyen, Miss M. Gartshore, Mrs J. MacMillan, Miss I. Tait, Miss M. MacNiven, Mr N. Carmichael, Mr D. Cameron, Mr J. MacColl and Mr H. Poole. Mr E. MacCowan was re-appointed trainer; while Mr N. MacIntyre was elected team captain and Mr G. Campbell, vice-captain.

Oban Times Report 15th September 1951



Oban Times Report 13th October 1951



APPIN deservedly collected the Munro Shield at Mossfield Park, Oban, on Saturday, in what was a very poor game. Little skill was exhibited by either side and it was more or less a case of hit and run most of the time.

John MacCorquodale opened the scoring for Appin who held on to this lead till the interval. A. MacInnes equalised two minutes after the restart but Appin, who were the stronger side, added further goals through Charlie Campbell and Bobby Rankin.

The Shield and medals were presented to the winners at the close of the game by Mr. C. Campbell, president of the local Junior Association.

shinty team


SEASON 1951-52

Oban Times Report 20th October 1951



Oban Times Report 1st December 1951



Dunstaffnage Juniors deserved their win over Appin in the second round game of the Sutherland Cup at Mossfield Park, Oban, on Saturday. The game was played in stormy weather with heavy underfoot conditions.

Like the previous game between those two sides, there was little skill displayed, both teams preferring to hit the ball up the centre most of the time. Dunstaffnage had the bulk of the pressure but were unable to turn their superiority into tangible form until the second half.

Despite many attacks on the Appin goal, the Dunstaffnage forwards missed chance after chance and 35 minutes had gone before they took the lead. They had forced three corners in succession and it was from the third that MacCorquodale netted from close in. From the throw-up Appin went right downfield and equalised when John MacCorquodale scored with a fine drive. Half-time came with the score level.

After the interval Appin came more into the picture but Dunstaffnage retaliated and in 20 minutes went on to lead, P. MacCuish accepting a pass from MacCorquodale to score a fine goal. Shortly afterwards Dunstaffnage were awarded a penalty and MacCorquodale sent the ball into the net via the post.

In an exciting finish, Appin managed to scramble the ball over the line after a goal-mouth melee.

Oban Times Report 29th December 1951



Although perhaps lacking in many of the finer touches, the game had plenty of excitement and provided lots of thrills for the spectators. Making the most of their chances Dunstaffnage took a two-goal lead in the first half. Appin fought back and reduced the lee-way in the second half by one goal. Their hopes seemed dashed when one of their men was sent to hospital injured but with eleven men Appin attacked more dangerously than ever and brought off a well-deserved equaliser when the injured man returned to make a great goal.

The teams had already met in the second round of the cup at Mossfield when Dunstaffnage emerged the winners by three goals to two. Appin appealed on the grounds that the referee had not been appointed by the Association. Their appeal was upheld and the replay arranged. Dunstaffnage were therefore determined to repeat their previous success.

Dunstaffnage attacked early and in five minutes one up through first forward MacCorquodale. In the opening stages play was rather scrappy and both sets of forwards seemed shaky. Exchanges were confined mainly to mid-field where Dunstaffnage were showing good understanding. Dunstaffnage’s second goal came in about 20 minutes. A long low ball was smacked up the centre. The Appin back misjudged the pass and allowed it to slide past him to the unmarked MacCorquodale. The Oban forward netted with a quick scoop past the outrushing keeper. Appin increased their pressure after this reverse and might have scored if their forwards had been a little faster. Time and again Duncan Geddes and Robert Brown, both playing exceptionally well, tried to initiate attacks only to find their front rank out of position.

In the second half, Appin made an important positional change, Duncan Geddes in defence changing places with George Campbell in the forward line. The decision of the Appin Committee as justified in five minutes, when Duncan Geddes scored their first goal after a goalmouth scrimmage. The ball had not been scooped out of the net when Charlie Campbell collapsed and was taken to hospital with an injured leg.

With only 11 men Appin’s chances of an equaliser seemed slim but spurred on by a superlative Geddes they attacked more strongly than before and the Dunstaffnage goal had several narrow escapes. In a quick breakaway, Dunstaffnage netted a picture goal after a high pass by Clark but this was disallowed for off-side. In the 20th minute of the second half, Charlie Campbell, limping badly returned to the field and had not been on four minutes when he laid on a pass, which gave Duncan Geddes his second goal and Appin the equaliser. A second Appin player was injured shortly afterwards but was only off for a few minutes. The game ended with both teams fighting for the winner and if anything Appin having slightly the better of the exchanges. For the visitors Duncan Geddes and Robert Brown were outstanding and were probably the best players on the field. MacKenzie was cool in defence. In Clark, Dunstaffnage had a cool constructive player, while Ferguson and MacInnes were both clean hitters. With two goals, MacCorquodale took his opportunities. The replay at Appin gives promise of being a real thriller.

Oban Times Report 5th January 1952



THE LARGE CROWD which turned out to see this game, expecting excitement, thrills and incident were not disappointed.

How decisive the victory was for Appin is not reflected in the score, for time and again the Appin forwards were thwarted on the goal-line by a superlative exhibition of goal-keeping by the Dunstaffnage goalkeeper. His counterpart in the Appin goal also had a number of fine saves.

From the throw-up Appin went on the attack but were repulsed and the Dunstaffnage forwards sent away. After about 15 minutes of end to end play, during which time there were near shaves at each end, Duncan Geddes found himself accepting a pass from Charlie Campbell and from ten yards, drove home a hard shot to put Appin in the lead. At this stage Dunstaffnage did not deserve to be a goal down, for play was even and justice was done, when about ten minutes before the interval Dunstaffnage equalised with a hard drive from Clarke.

Tempers at this stage were becoming a little frayed, and the referee, Hugh Lawrie, had occasion to speak to one or two players.

Some clean crisp hitting by Tom Clarke, playing on the right wing for Dunstaffnage, Might have been made better use of by the Dunstaffnage forwards, but the defences at each end remained resolute and sent everything that came to them back the way it had come. Half time came with the scores level.

In the second half Appin appeared as a team transformed and gave a display of shinty fit for the best circles. Duncan Cameron seemed to dominate the centre of the field, while John MacCorquodale put a stop to Tom Clarke’s unmarked cantrips along the wing. Duncan Geddes and Donald MacKillop proved themselves adept at drawing the defence towards the corner flags, then flicking into the centre of the field.

Time and again MacGregor in goal for Dunstaffnage brought off grand saves but now the clearances were not going further than the centre line, where a tireless Duncan Cameron returned the forwards to the attack. A goal had to come and it did, when Sandy Campbell drove home from about 20 yards, after about 15 minutes of the second half had gone.

At this stage Peter Campbell changed places with Duncan Geddes and in ten minutes as a forward scored an unstoppable goal. He and Duncan Geddes then changed back to their own positions again. Dunstaffnage had a brief spell of pressure and were unlucky not to score when MacIntyre brought off a brilliant save by turning a full blooded drive from Clarke round the post with his stick for a corner.

After two fruitless corners Appin returned to the attack and Donald MacKillop took an opportunity in grand style to drive home a fourth goal for Appin. In the closing minutes a long drive a long drive by Sandy Campbell found the Dunstaffnage goalkeeper with one eye on the ball and one on the inrushing Duncan Geddes with the result that he misjudged his save and Sandy Campbell had brought his personal total to two and Appin’s to five.

Best for Dunstaffnage were MacGregor in goal, Ferguson and Clarke in defence, Tom Clarke on the wing and MacCuish in the centre. For Appin, all played well, their best men being Neil MacIntyre, MacKenzie, Duncan Cameron, George and Peter Campbell.

Oban Times Report 2nd February 1952



SATURDAY’s SCORE WAS A FAIR reflection on the run of play at Mossfield Park, Oban, where Appin had a convincing victory over their less cohesive opponents.

Weather conditions were atrocious and practically spoiled what would otherwise have been a very good game. An iron hard ground with the surface like glass made it a debatable point as to whether the pitch was playable or not. The worst feature of this difficult pitch was the danger of injury to the players. One of the Appin boys was lucky to escape unscathed, when chasing after the loose ball to the touch-line, he skidded and crashed into the concrete boundary fence.

Appin deserved their win for two reasons. They had a strong forward rank with plenty of shooting power, which did not hesitate to seize opportunities and they adapted themselves more quickly to the bad conditions. All along their hitting was of a much higher standard than that shown by Celtic.

Goal Scorers – Appin – Geddes, Campbell (2) and Addison.

Celtic – Cameron and MacLean.

Oban Times Report 16th February 1952



APPIN QUALIFIED FOR THE Semi-Final of the Sutherland Cup by defeating Fort William 3-2 at the Jubilee Park, Ballachulish.

Superior forward play was the deciding factor and although Fort William applied the greater amount of pressure in the second half they were held by a strong Appin defence.

From the throw-up both teams settled down to some hard playing and the ball swung from end to end. After 30 minutes play a fast movement by the Appin forwards ended with Donald MacKillop getting possession and from 20 yards he hit a fast ground shot into the corner of the net. At this stage Appin lost the initiative and Fort William applied pressure and were rewarded when S. Cameron equalised, his shot from inside the circle trickling a few inches over the goal-line. From this stage Appin regained command and shortly before half-time went ahead through Charlie Campbell.

In the second half Fort William had more of the play and would have equalised but for bunching in the goal area. Considerable credit, however must go to Peter Campbell and Cameron, the Appin backs who time and again smartly cleared their lines. There was less than 20 minutes to go when Appin increased their lead, a combined move by the forwards ended with Geddes clear of all opposition and he scored with an unsavable shot. Fort William raided vigorously on occasion and from a well-directed free hit Duncan Cameron crashed the ball into the net from outside the 10 yard circle.

Oban Times Report 15th March 1952



This Tie played on the Winterton, which was in use for the first time for a period of years, produced lots of the finer points of the game and many exciting moments.

Both defences were sound, this being more pointed in the case of Appin, who survived more sustained pressure than the Colglen backs but Colglen had two fine half-backs who turned the tide time and time again. At centre, too, MacVicar used his head to effect and many of his opening-up passes to his wing men and half-forwards were a lesson many senior centres could copy.

Appin opened the scoring with a well-placed shot by Charlie Campbell and from a scrimmage shortly after Colglen equalised through J. Gilles.

Second half was a ding-dong battle, with Colglen holding a slight advantage and it was against the run of play Appin took the lead through Peter Cameron. With the last hit of the game Colglen squared and the scorer was K. MacFarlane. It would have been a great pity had Colglen not survived to fight another day, for over the 90 minutes they were if anything the better team.

Oban Times Report 22nd March 1952.



Colglen went to the front after 15 minutes, by a well-taken shot from J. Gillies after the Appin keeper had brought off a brilliant save from D. MacVicar. Here abouts it looked as if Colglen might build up a substantial lead But the Appin keeper and his backs left nothing that could be termed a second chance.

In the second half Appin played strongly and it was no surprise when Donald MacKillop scored, the same player adding a second immediately after, to put his side on the lead. Then Robert Brown, amidst protests by the Colglen defence that he had fouled, placed the ball in the net. Colglen made a change in their placings and in a minute were only one goal behind.

Oban Times Report 29th March 1952


The Sutherland Cup Final, which should have been played at Mossfield, Oban, on April 5, has been postponed following upon a protest being lodged by Colglen after their replayed semi-final game which was won by Appin.

It is understood that the protest alleges that the referee, Mr W. Currie, Oban, stopped play short of time and it will be considered at a meeting of the Camanachd Association at Glasgow on April 12.

The other finalist is Beauly.

Oban Times Report 5th April 1952



In this game at Kinlochlaich Park, Appin on Saturday, Appin ran out easy winners by five goals to one. Playing with the wind behind them in the first half, Appin should have had the result beyond doubt before the halfway stage was reached, but the following wind proved to be quite a tricky ally and time and time again the centre line overshot the forwards. It came as no surprise when Donald MacKillop opened the scoring for Appin in about 20 minutes. The same player notched a second one just before half-time.

Jackie MacCulloch played a good game in Celtic’s defence but he and his fellow defenders were unable to prevent Robert Brown from scoring a further two goals.

MacCuish with a long shot reduced Celtic’s arrears, but before the final whistle Charlie Campbell scored for Appin to once more put Celtic on a 4 goal deficit

Oban Times Report 12th April 1952


The Draw for the Junior Shinty Trophy presented by the late Lord Archibald Campbell of Sonachan, was made by Lochfyneside’s committee in McBride’s Hotel, Inveraray, on April 2.

West District – First Round – Oban Lochside v Oban Celtic. Second Round – Oban Lorne v Oban Celtic or Oban Lochside; Appin (Holders) v Dunstaffnage. Semi-final – Oban Lorne, Oban Celtic or Oban Lochside v Appin or Dunstaffnage.

Central District – Bye – Lochfyneside. First Round – Kilmory v Glenorchy. Second Round – Kilmory or Glenorchy v Lochfyneside.

South District – Second Round – North Bute v Strachur. Semi-final – Central District qualifier v South District qualifier.

Dates – First Round on or before April 19; second round on or before April 26; semi-final

The Western District final will be played at Oban and the Central District v South District qualifiers at Strachur or Inveraray.

Oban Times Report 19th April 1952


The protest by the Colglen Club that the referee had stopped their semi-final Sutherland Cup game against Appin, short of time, was considered. The referee, Mr W. Currie, Oban, in his report stated that officials had claimed that the game had been underplayed by some 10 minutes but before he had left the field they had protested that the game was 3 minutes short.

He stated that he had checked his watch with the one o’clock time signal and again at 6 o’clock, when he found it had gained 5 minutes.

Letters from both Clubs were considered and it was decided by a large majority that the game should be replayed at Inveraray on Saturday, April 19.

The Chairman referred to the honesty of the referee in coming forward to admit that his watch had gained time.

Mr Currie was again appointed as referee for the replay.

The Sutherland Cup Final will take place at Oban on May 3.

Oban Times Report 26th April 1952.



Colglen and Appin met on the Winterton, Inveraray, on Saturday last for the third time in the semi-final of the Sir William Sutherland Cup. First game ended in a draw, the second Appin went home the winners by the odd goal but with a protest about the game. This protest came before the Camanachd Association in Glasgow on the 12th and was upheld and last Saturday’s game saw Appin’s interest in the cup disappear for this season at least.

The match was in the charge of Mr William Currie, Oban, and it was a hard clean contest. All the games between the two Clubs have been similar and more like the matches witnessed in the good old days. If anything the Appin defence was more polished and they cleared better than the Colglen backs. In the forward division and mid lines there was little or nothing to choose between players.

“Jack was as good as his master” and although Colglen had a two-goal lead at half-time it looked as if in the second half their lead would be short lived but they stuck it out, although they lost a goal and their goalkeeper had many good saves to his credit and for a time the backs were “all at sea” and anything might have happened.

True, Colglen forwards tested the Appin keeper too and they also missed a few “sitters”. It was really a 50/50 game that might have gone any way and the winner’s, if for nothing else than real grit, deserved congratulations and good wishes for the final, which is to be played in Oban – Beauly being the other contestants.

Oban Times Report 3rd April 1952



In the game at Kinlochlaich Park, Appin, on Saturday tackling was hard and fast and in the excitement of the moment some tempers became a little frayed but Mr G Y Slater, referee, kept the game well in hand and on a number of occasions called upon players to shake hands.

The game, however, was marred by an unfortunate incident about ten minutes before the final whistle when after a bout of fisticuffs in the Dunstaffnage goalmouth, Tom Clarke was ordered to the touch line.

Having won the toss Appin played with the sun behind them and in about 5 minutes were a goal up as a result of some fine play by Addison, followed by a well-taken shot by Jimmy Brown, playing his first game. MacKellar netted but the point was disallowed because of off-side.

Play swung to the other end, where Neil MacIntyre showed himself to be in his best form, when he pulled a fast shot out of mid-air with his caman. Dunstaffnage swept back to the attack and had the ball in the net but a previous infringement nullified this counter. As a result of this infringement Dunstaffnage were awarded a penalty, which MacCorquodale took, it was, however, well saved by MacIntyre.

The game was fairly even from then until half-time, though Appin might have made more of their opportunities.

In the second half, the Appin forwards settled down and in a half which was mostly one way traffic, they notched three goals – two by Brown and one by Geddes.
Oban Times Report 26th July 1952



Appin had about eighty per cent of the play but bad luck coupled with a sterling defence put up by Dunstaffnage, particularly by MacColl, Ferguson and Jamieson in goal, rendered their attacking potential to nil.

From the throw-up Appin went to the attack and in about four minutes Duncan Geddes gave the Dunstaffnage keeper no chance with a hard shot from a narrow angle. Ten minutes later Dunstaffnage equalised through MacCorquodale and for the remainder of the first half play was from end to end, neither side gaining any real advantage.

Throughout the second half Dunstaffnage were penned in their own half of the field and apart from an occasional break-away the Appin defence was untroubled. Mid-way through this half Appin were awarded a penalty when Ferguson handled the ball inside the circle but Geddes drove the ball past the post.

Long shots from Duncan Cameron and Jimmy Jackson, who both incidentally had their heads swathed in bandages from earlier injuries, were well saved by the Dunstaffnage goalkeeper. The final whistle went with the Dunstaffnage goal still under pressure and still holding out.


SEASON 1952-53

Oban Times Report 15th November 1952



Biggest surprise in Saturday’s Sutherland Cup games was Lochside’s runaway 5-1 victory over the redoubtable Appin, at Mossfield Park, Oban. The result came as a severe shock to the prophets who had forecast an easy win for Appin.

Oban’s success was built round two men, Galbraith in the rear and newcomer MacCorquodale at first forward. Those two called the time and the rest of the team fell into step to function as one cohesive unit.

Appin did most of the pressing in the early stages and it was actually against the run of play that Oban got their first goal. Rose at centre, collected a loose ball and eluding his opponent sent a high pass into the Appin goalmouth. The Appin back raced to intercept but misjudged his clearance and MacCorquodale was waiting to guide the ball into the net.

The visitors made a strong attempt to even the score but stubborn defending on the part of Oban and extremely fine goalkeeping by MacInnes enabled them to retain their lead. Oban returned to the attack and in the 30th minute went further ahead this time through Cruickshanks who scored after accepting a pass from Dunn.

The second half continued on the same lines with Oban doing most of the pressing and in a few minutes after the throw-up they had added another goal, MacCorquodale again scoring after Rose had sent a long pass into the circle. It was all Oban now and it was no surprise when a few minutes later they scored again. This time the ball reached the net via Campbell and MacCorquodale with Tommy MacFarlane putting the finishing touches to it.

Cruickshanks and Rose had a hand in the fifth goal with MacCorquodale netting to make his hat-trick.

With 15 minutes to go Appin got their solitary goal, Brown scoring from close in after a break through.

Oban Times Report 20th June 1953



This was a tight game with both defences on top form. Dunstaffnage pressed for the first twenty minutes but couldn’t pierce a concrete Appin defence and in a breakaway the home team scored through Anderson. Later MacGregor equalised for Dunstaffnage with a close shot.

In the second half Appin pressed strongly and it was the turn of the Dunstaffnage defence to show their paces. Best for the visitors were Addison at centre and Campbell in goal and the defence. Appin’s heroes were JimmyJackson and Donnie MacColl, two up and coming youngsters who both showed some nice stick-work, while the defence was sound.

Oban Times Report 29th August 1953



In a keenly contested game at Mossfield Park, Oban, on Saturday, Appin defeated Dunstaffnage 3-1 in the first round replay of the Campbell Cup. The scorers were: –

Appin – Donnie MacColl, Campbell and John MacMillan.

Dunstaffnage – MacNiven.

Oban Times Report 10th October 1953



The Shinty Final for the Sir Archibald Campbell Trophy was played between Strachur and Appin, on the Winterton Park, Inveraray on Saturday. Mr Duncan Morrison, Inveraray, was referee. The score was 2-2 at full-time, so another half-hour of play was decided on. Strachur gaining two extra goals in this time, making the final score 4-2. The Cup was presented to the captain of the winning team – Mr Ian MacLachlan, by Mr John Gillies, manager, National Bank, Inveraray. Strachur have done very well this season, having won three cups and they now intend to play as a senior team. The trophies won are – The Sir Archibald Campbell Cup, the Buteman Cup and the MacQuiston Cup.


SEASON 1953-54

Oban Times Report 9th January 1954


Junior Shinty Championship (Sutherland Cup) quarter finals draw is as follows:- Lochcarron v Beauly; Newtonmore v Kilmallie; Oban Celtic v Appin; Strachur v Kyles Athletic.

Oban Times Report 16th January 1954



Appin had little difficulty in overcoming Oban Celtic Juniors in the district final of the Sutherland Cup, at Mossfield Park on Saturday.

The heavier team, the visitors dominated play and with two early goals by Jimmy Jackson in the opening minutes they never looked like being overcome. Keeping up the pressure, they

increased their lead by two further goals by John MacMillan before the interval.

The four-goal lead was rather much for the Celtic side to catch up with in the second half, although they settled down to a more combined game and came more into the play. Halfway through, Peter Cameron, the Appin half-back was ordered off. The visitors increased their lead through Alistair Campbell.

Oban Times Report 6th March 1954



First Round – Lochside v Glenorchy, on or before March 13; Appin v Oban Lorn, on or before March 20. Colglen v Strachur, on or before March 13; Kyles Athletic v Bute, on or before March 13.

Second Round – Lochside or Glenorchy v Appin or Oban Lorn, on or before March 27; Lochfyneside v Oban Celtic, on or before March 27.

Players who are committed in the Sutherland Cup with any other Club cannot take part. One semi-final must be played at Inveraray. Semi-finals to be played April 17. Final at Inveraray on May 1. Referees for first and second rounds to be agreed by Clubs. Others to be appointed by the committee.

Oban Times Report 8th May 1954



Sunny weather greeted the two teams when Referee G.Y. Slater commenced play. Beauly were first to attack but Appin soon settled and rather against the run of play they opened the scoring, when a fast ball deceived the Beauly keeper, going in off the post. This encouraged the Appin forwards and in another 10 minutes Jimmy Jackson from 30 yards increased the score.

Beauly, with neat and cohesive play, steadily made their presence felt and it was no surprise when they scored after a neat piece of forward play by second forwards Grant and Hercher. There was no further scoring and the interval came with Appin leading by two goals to one.

On resuming, Beauly, re-arranging their team, showed the form which took them to the final and in just under three minutes were on level terms. This goal was scored direct from a corner hit, the goalkeeper deflecting the ball. In a further four minutes they took the lead. At this stage the Appin centre line completely collapsed and it was a case of desperate Appin defence against an agile Beauly attack. Beauly’s play was a treat now and it looked as if they were playing with an extra man, so poor was the Appin covering.

Fifteen minutes from time, Appin made changes, bringing Alistair Campbell from first forward to centre and shifting centre Cameron to forward. This change had little or no effect on the game and Beauly continued to master matters, increasing their lead by a well-taken goal by Hercher.

Players who mattered most were MacLean, Fraser, Seller, Grant and Mearns for Beauly, while Appin were best served by Peter Campbell, Jimmy Jackson and John MacMillan.

Oban Times Report 29th May 1954


At Mossfield Park, Oban, on Saturday evening, last year’s final of the Munro Shield will be played by Glenorchy and Appin and a good game should be enjoyed. Glenorchy, who are the holders of the shield have been practicing hard and have strengthened their side by the return of Archie Black from Glenrothes, Ian Black from Tillicoultry and Alastair Nicholson from his National Service in Malaya.

Oban Times Report 5th June 1954



Glenorchy lost custody of the Munro Shield to Appin on Saturday when beaten in the final at Mossfield Park, Oban.

The Glen more than held their own in the first half to lead 2-1 with their goals nicely taken by Don. Campbell and J. Craik. It was not until 15 minutes of the second half had gone that they began to lose pace on the hard ground and with weaknesses showing up in the centre line they were well beaten by a better balanced Appin side.

The Glen will again be playing on Mossfield in the evening match on Saturday when they meet Lochside in the first round of the Campbell Cup

Oban Times Report 19th June 1954



A draw was a fair result here with Appin having a slight edge on the play. They had a heavier and more powerful team but the lighter Lochside stuck to their task well an MacNeill’s last-minute equaliser gave them the chance to fight another day.

MacCalman opened the scoring for Lochside in ten minutes with a well taken goal. Even play followed and in a short time John MacMillan equalised. The interval came with no further scoring.

After the restart, Appin went ahead, again through John MacMillan but Lochside retaliated quickly and MacCalman made it even terms. Alistair Campbell with a 25 yard rocket-drive gave his side the lead but in the closing stages MacNeill once more levelled matters with a beautiful drive.


SEASON 1954-55

Oban Times Report 2nd October 1954


The Draw for the Sutherland Cup – the Junior Shinty Championship of Scotland – was made on Friday and resulted: –

Section 1. District Final – Lochcarron v Skye.

Section 2. First Round – Beauly v Caberfeidh; Lovat v Ness Athletic; District Final – Lovat or Ness Athletic v Beauly or Caberfeidh.

Section 3. First Round – Kingussie v Newtonmore; Kincraig v Boleskine; District Final – Kingussie or Newtonmore v Kincraig or Boleskine.

Section 4. First Round – Spean Bridge v Kilmallie; Bye – Fort William. District Final – Fort William v Spean Bridge or Kilmallie.

Section 5. First Round – Oban Lorn v Appin; Oban Celtic v Lochside Rovers; District Final – Oban Lorn or Appin v Oban Celtic or Lochside Rovers.

Section 6. First Round – Glenorchy v Strachur; Colglen v Lochfyneside; District Final – Glenorchy or Strachur v Colglen or Lochfyneside.

Section 7. First Round – Edinburgh University v Kyles Athletic; Bye – Bute. District Final – Edinburgh University or Kyles Athletic v Bute.

Oban Times Report 6th November 1954



Lorn opened the scoring in this game at Mossfield Park, Oban, on Saturday, after 15 minutes’ play but they were soon outclassed by a much heavier and more experienced side.

Appin equalised through Alistair Campbell who got a second goal before the interval. The second-half was rather one-sided, the visitors having the bulk of the pressure. John MacMillan with two more goals for Appin put the issue beyond doubt.

Oban Times Report 12th March 1955


With their defeat of Appin on Saturday, Strachur now qualify for the final of the Sutherland Cup and will meet the victors of the Northern semi-finals which have still to be played off. The last time they played in the final of this cup was 1934.

Oban Times Report 16th April 1955



This match played on the Winterton in torrential rain had none of the finer touches associated with the game. True both sides went at it tooth and nail, no quarter was asked or given and Appin in the early stages might have established a lead but their forwards finished wide of the mark. They were the heavier team, strong and determined but somehow the Strachur defence managed to hang on and once their centre-line came more into the picture their forwards gave signs that given the ball, the Appin defence would fall. Just near half-time, Crawford scored and they started the second half with this goal lead and the wind behind them. It appeared that they were better trained than Appin – they stuck out better – and they gave as good as they got until, eventually, they were on top with another goal from Crawford.

Appin had moments, but only fleeting, for the Strachur backs never let the forwards settle to any sort of combined play and it was no surprise when they were defeated by the second division finalists. At the close of the game the cup was presented by ex-Provost Morrison, vice-president of the Camanachd Association, to Hugh Spiers, captain of the Strachur team.

Oban Times Report 7th May 1955



This tussle between Oban Celtic Juniors and Appin played at Mossfield Park, Oban, on Saturday attracted a fair crowd of supporters. Although somewhat flattered by their 5-2 victory over Celtic, the Appin boys always made far more of their chances than the home side and fully merited their win.

Taking the initiative Celtic commanded the run of play for the first fifteen minutes of the game and within and within 10 minutes had opened the scoring through MacInnes. For the rest of the first half they fell away rather badly, however, and although plenty of opportunities continued to present themselves the Celtic forwards wasted many chances.

Appin on the other hand became more aggressive and had netted three times before the interval through Jimmy Brown (2) and Donnie MacColl. In the second half Celtic started strongly and were rewarded with a well-taken goal by Lawrie but playing against the wind and the heavier Appin combine, proved too much for them and two more goals by Buchanan and Donnie MacColl settled the issue.

Appin are a well-built, heavy team, relying on brawn rather than brain. For the nippy Celtic team, MacKillop, MacLennan and MacColl were best.

Referee, Mr G. Currie handled the game well.

Oban Times Report 11th June 1955



It was a somewhat disappointing crowd that saw Strachur defeat Appin by three goals to two in the final of the Bullough Cup at Mossfield Park, Oban on Saturday evening.

Although it was a bright warm evening, the strong downfield wind did not help as far as shinty was concerned and both teams were frequently under difficulties. With a strong hefty team, Appin had the advantage of power but the Strachur boys produced better shinty and were nippier on the ball and more skilful in their distribution, particularly in the way they spread play to the wings.

Winning the toss, Strachur booked the strong wind and were early on the attack. Sometimes the Appin marking was not as close as it might have been and the Strachur centre-line, particularly Blake, were frequently setting their forwards in motion. The strong wind, however, instead of assisting Strachur, was blowing their passes right over the Appin bye-line. This, combined with a good deal of hesitancy on the part of the Strachur forwards kept the Appin goal intact for some twenty minutes, when at this juncture Strachur netted through A. Brown who scored a well-taken goal.

Despite this reverse Appin now came more into the game and soon equalises through Jimmy Brown. Appin continued their pressure for some time but the Strachur defence held firm and shortly before half-time Alastair Brown, Strachur scored a second goal, once more to put his team in the lead.

On the resumption Appin stormed into the attack in an effort to reduce the leeway but it was Strachur who went further ahead when Angus Paterson scored after a defensive blunder by Appin.

From this point until the end of the match Appin went all out to clear the deficit but a strong Strachur defence held firm until a few minutes from the end when Appin reduced the arrears.

At the end of the game the Bullough Cup and badges were presented to the winning team by Mr Charles MacGregor, the president of the Junior Shinty Association.

The game was refereed by Mr William Currie, Oban.

Oban Times Report 23rd July 1955



In this Munro Shield semi-final at Mossfield Park on Saturday evening Lochside gained a replay through a disputed goal in the closing minutes.

Appin had most of the play in the first half and opened the scoring with a well taken goal by John MacMillan in the first minute. Midway through the first half W. Campbell levelled the scores and shortly before half time D. Buchanan put Appin ahead again.

After the interval Lochside livened up and play was directed to the Appin end. Time after time the ball was cleared from the visitor’s goalmouth but the Oban team could not find the net until J. Allan equalised almost on time.


SEASON 1955-56

Oban Times Report 12th November 1955



Neither team rose to great heights in this Sutherland Cup match which was played at Mossfield Park, Oban, on Saturday. Celtic lost by throwing away chances. With the better of the exchanges they had numerous scoring opportunities, particularly in the first half but these were nullified by poor marksmanship. Too often their shots were wild and inaccurate.

Their strategy, too, lacked guile and their “up and down the middle” tactics lacked variety and imagination. Appin, spreading the play more, threatened danger in the goal area. John MacMillan was the match winner in the Appin attack and netted a hat-trick to contribute largely to Oban’s downfall. The centre lines were fairly evenly matched with Oban being if anything the more constructive in their methods.

In the first half Celtic had the edge of the play over their opponents, MacLennan and MacInnes being prominent in their attacks. Their efforts were of no avail, however, and at the other end opportunist John MacMillan netted twice for his side.

In the second half Celtic took more of a grip and Cameron reduced the leeway with a well-taken goal. A third goal by John MacMillan put paid to their hopes, however, and in the later stages Appin took the initiative, Donnie MacColl adding their fourth goal.

Appin now meet Lochside in the next stage of the cup.

Oban Times Report 3rd December 1955


Lochside’s Easy Victory.


An Appin combination which lacked its usual thrust and initiative was no match for this well-balanced Lochside team, which romped home to a 5-0 victory in this Sutherland Cup tie at Mossfield Park, Oban, on Saturday.

Although the lighter team, the Oban boys showed far more shinty skills than their opponents, were faster on the ball and displayed good understanding, particularly in the forward ranks. In fact, on Saturday’s showing, Lochside will be a match for any junior shinty team in Scotland at the present time.

Both teams took time to settle and in the early stages exchanges were fairly even. Lochside, however, were not long in taking the initiative and in about fifteen minutes their account was opened by W. Campbell, while a few minutes later Ewen Campbell added number two. Lochside continued to have things very much to their own liking but some dour defending by the visitors prevented further scoring during this half.

Kenny MacMillan, Appin’s match-winning forward did not seem to be in his usual form and he was shifted to the centre-line where he was not particularly happy.In the early stages of the second half, Campbell, one of the Appin backs, was injured and the visitors continued for nearly 20 minutes with only 11 men. It is doubtful, however, if Campbell’s presence on the field would have made much difference to the result for Lochside were in jubilant form and it must have been a case of “the Campbell’s are coming” an far as Appin’s goalkeeper was concerned when Ewen Campbell netted number 3 for the home side. In the latter stages of the game A. Currie added a fourth while the same player scored Lochside’s fifth and final goal a few minutes later.

Source : Ian MacPhee

*If anyone has any old Appin Shinty photographs that may be added to this section, please click here


Leave A Reply