TA Nurse Jessie Morrison A.R.R.C (1904 – 1974)
Jessie’s father, Robert Morrison was a Blacksmith and worked the Port Appin smiddy from about 1931 until the ’40s. After Christina MacPhee died the family moved into Hazelwood in 1948.
Jessie Morrison was decorated with the A.R.R.C for her service in the field hospitals in France during the D-Day landings. She saw service in France, Belgium and in the Russian Hospital Trondheim.
Jessie returned to Port Appin after the war and worked as a school nurse in Argyll, travelling the length and breadth of the county with the Doctor checking the health of school children – she lived in Oban during the week and returned home to Port Appin on the train for the weekend to be with her elderly parents.
Hazelwood was sold in the early 1960s.
Jessie returned to hospital nursing and was a Matron in Rottenrow, Glasgow. She retired to Oban and died there in 1974.